I got serious sewing FOMO seeing everyone’s naked lady jersey from the New Craft House pop up shop a few weeks ago, and was thrilled I managed to nab some online! I’m afraid it’s now sold out, but they have lots of other gorgeous deadstock fabrics available.
If you were luck enough to grab some, I'd love for you to share your makes on Instagram with the tag #THATladyfabric!
I spent too much on fabric last month, so limited myself to a metre. It’s 165cm wide so still gave me a lot to play with. I was originally planning another Freya dress, but the fabric failed the “boob test” and turned white when stretched. I wanted to find a pattern that could be made with knit fabric but with a boxy fit so the ladies wouldn’t be stretched and distorted during wear. It ideally had to be from my stash to save money and time, too. I scoured my t-shirt and dress patterns and couldn’t find anything suitable so I got creative and opted to hack the Tilly and the Buttons Stella hoodie pattern from Stretch.
I made a Stella hoodie for the Tilly and the Buttons Sewing Xmas Sweater contest last December and loved the fit. It’s loose but still has a shaped waist which I thought would work really well as a dress. I extended the bodice front and back pieces with two straight parallel 28cm lines. I didn’t make any other adjustments to the pattern pieces, but omitted the sleeves and hood.
I sewed the shoulder seams together, then pinned the side seams so I could get an idea of how the drop shoulder cap sleeves would look. They stuck up a little, so I curved the outside edge of the shoulder seam, and trimmed the excess.
As the fabric didn’t look right when stretched, I made the neckband out of black cotton jersey, leftover from my sushijamas. I cut a neckband piece that was 90% the length of the neckline x 4.5cm. Guthrie and Ghani have a great video on sewing neckbands if you need any help with them. This is only the fourth one I’ve sewn but I’m feeling pretty confident about them now and don’t know why I avoided them for so long!
I turned the sleeve hem under by 1.5cm and hemmed with a wide twin needle. I sewed the side seams as normal and tried the dress on. The armholes gaped slightly as the hoodie has quite baggy sleeves, so I took these in a little.
I tried the dress on again to determine the length, and went for a 3cm hem. I often sew my garments with a deep hem so I have the option to lengthen it at a later date.
This was a super quick sew, even taking into account the hacks and adjustments. It’s comfy and cute (hello secret pyjamas) and will be so nice and cool for summer. I needed a sewing win after a frustrating time sewing the Willamette shirt - which still isn’t finished - and this was definitely it!
I have worn my dress so many times already and love it so much!
I wore the dress today at the In Colourful Company Cambridge Colour Walk!
Left: Jen of Wren and Wilson
Right: Kirsty of The Fabric Fox