I bought the Megan Nielsen Sudley dress pattern after seeing it in Cut One Pair’s “smock it to ya” feature – top marks for the pun, girls! I knew the loose fit would be perfect over Christmas (HELLO cheese and mince pies) and I thought it would be a pretty quick sew. It took longer than expected as there’s a lot of hand finishing but I really enjoyed being able to sew on the sofa, and have vowed to do more hand sewing in 2019, as well as finally having a go at embroidery.
My measurements put me between an XS and S, but I opted for an XS due to the loose shape over the waist and hips. I usually wear a UK 10 in indie patterns and personally wouldn’t want it more oversized, so bear that in mind if you’re a UK 6/8. I’m normally all about the prints, but I opted for a plain chambray from my stash and it’s the perfect canvas for my statement necklace collection.
As the dress on the front of the pattern looks really short, I added 3.5cm to the length of the skirt pieces, although I sewed a 2.5cm hem rather than the recommended 1.2mm.
I also added in-seam pockets to the skirt, of course. As the bodice and skirt proportions are slightly unusual, I loosely pinned them together to work out where the pockets should sit.
I raided my scraps drawer for lining fabric was thrilled that a bit of clever pattern Tetris meant I had JUST enough of this charming goat and deer Liberty Tana Lawn to line the bodice. I didn’t bother lining the skirt as my chambray is medium/heavy weight.
The main construction is incredibly simple as there’s no darts or fastenings. The main bodice and lining have to be joined at the neckline with a 0.6cm seam which was rather fiddly around the keyhole but I went over it a few times and the lining hides that! I hand stitched the lining around the sleeves and waist and love how neat it looks on the inside.
I cut the longest sleeves on the pattern, but thought they looked a little frumpy as they’re so wide. I'm pretty sure they look better in this photo than they did in real life! When I shortened them, the weight of my fabric caused them to stick out at awkward angles so I drafted a little cuff and I’m so happy with how they turned out. I also hand stitched the inside of the cuffs because apparently, I hand stitch EVERYTHING now.
I’m delighted with my finished dress and have worn it a few times already. Next time, I would make the bodice a little longer, or use the cropped blouse line on the pattern. I’d also like to try adding elastic to the waistline with a lighter weight fabric.
You can see more of my homemade clothes on Instagram!
Full disclosure: I have since refashioned this dress, and you can read all about it here.
I have had to disable blog comments as I received hundreds of gibberish spam comments. If you have any questions or comments, you contact me here or via Instagram.