I bought the Megan Nielsen Sudley dress pattern after seeing it in Cut One Pair’s “smock it to ya” feature – top marks for the pun, girls! I knew the loose fit would be perfect over Christmas (HELLO cheese and mince pies) and I thought it would be a pretty quick sew. It took longer than expected as there’s a lot of hand finishing but I really enjoyed being able to sew on the sofa, and have vowed to do more hand sewing in 2019, as well as finally having a go at embroidery.
My measurements put me between an XS and S, but I opted for an XS due to the loose shape over the waist and hips. I usually wear a UK 10 in indie patterns and personally wouldn’t want it more oversized, so bear that in mind if you’re a UK 6/8. I’m normally all about the prints, but I opted for a plain chambray from my stash and it’s the perfect canvas for my statement necklace collection.
As the dress on the front of the pattern looks really short, I added 3.5cm to the length of the skirt pieces, although I sewed a 2.5cm hem rather than the recommended 1.2mm.
I also added in-seam pockets to the skirt, of course. As the bodice and skirt proportions are slightly unusual, I loosely pinned them together to work out where the pockets should sit.
Pin available here
I raided my scraps drawer for lining fabric was thrilled that a bit of clever pattern Tetris meant I had JUST enough of this charming goat and deer Liberty Tana Lawn to line the bodice. I didn’t bother lining the skirt as my chambray is medium/heavy weight.
The main construction is incredibly simple as there’s no darts or fastenings. The main bodice and lining have to be joined at the neckline with a 0.6cm seam which was rather fiddly around the keyhole but I went over it a few times and the lining hides that! I hand stitched the lining around the sleeves and waist and love how neat it looks on the inside.
I cut the longest sleeves on the pattern, but thought they looked a little frumpy as they’re so wide. I'm pretty sure they look better in this photo than they did in real life! When I shortened them, the weight of my fabric caused them to stick out at awkward angles so I drafted a little cuff and I’m so happy with how they turned out. I also hand stitched the inside of the cuffs because apparently, I hand stitch EVERYTHING now.
I’m delighted with my finished dress and have worn it a few times already. Next time, I would make the bodice a little longer, or use the cropped blouse line on the pattern. I’d also like to try adding elastic to the waistline with a lighter weight fabric. I think it would look amazing in this Atelier Brunette double gauze or Cotton and Steel floral cotton, both from Sew Me Sunshine.
You can see more of my homemade clothes on Instagram!